Old School Americana & Nostalgia


Mary Lou Retton Speaks Out After Her Life Threatening Hospitalization

Mary Lou Retton Speaks Out After Her Life Threatening Hospitalization

Mary Lou Retton is recovering at home after a life-threatening condition left her hospitalized and on a ventilator, and she’s thanking the friends and fans who have been supporting her during the crisis.

The Olympic gold medalist broke her silence through Instagram on Oct. 30, saying she’s “beyond blessed to have the opportunity to make this statement.”

“I am overwhelmed with the love and support from the world as I fight,” Retton wrote. “I am forever grateful to you all! I’m with family continuing to slowly recover and staying very positive as I know this recovery is a long and slow process.”

The 55-year-old asked for continued privacy “at this time,” and she promised to share more about the situation and her subsequent “health issues” in the future. 

“I hope I can help others who may face the same battle as me,” she concluded before singing off with love. 

Retton made history during the 1984 Summer Olympics when she became the first US woman to win the all-around gold in gymnastics. The then 16-year-old also took home five other golds that year. 

Mary Lou Retton Admitted to the ICU

Mary Lou Retton’s daughter, Shayla Kelley Schrepfer, announced on Oct. 10 that her mother was “fighting for her life” in the intensive care unit after developing a rare form of pneumonia. Kelley shared that Retton was unable to breathe on her own but opted to keep the rest of the situation private.

The gymnast’s second daughter, McKenna Kelley, created a SpotFund account for Retton in hopes of raising $50,000 to help offset the medical bills. As Kelley shared, Retton does not have medical insurance. The page has since raised nearly $460,000.

“Just seeing that people love her like that and showing her that support has just meant the world to us and to her,” Kelley wrote on Instagram after the fund hit $360,000. “Thank you for your unbelievable love & support for our mom. Please continue to pray for her full recovery.”

Kelley shared on Oct. 23 that Retton had been discharged from the hospital. While the progress was positive, Kelley specified that Retton still has “a long road of recovery ahead.” 

“Grateful doesn’t scrape the surface of the posture of our hearts,” she added. “Thank you Jesus, thank you doctors & nurses, thank you to this loving community of support.”